What's Out This Week?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Re: What's Out This Week?

Post by Magical_Isopod »

That would be unfortunate if that's the case, because Dead Space 1 is not only readily available on PC, but the PS3 and 360 versions are inexpensive and incredibly common, with the 360 version being upgraded on XB1X and S|X. FF7R did the same thing though, starting as a straight remake before going bananas later on... So maybe I'll be right? :P
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

I have my order in for Dead Space. It will be my first horror game since Resident Evil 4 which I didn't even finish due to being too scared so will be interested to see how I get on.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm gonna guess... not very well 🤣
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

The thing is that makes me think I might be ok is that I don't find sci-fi that scary. For example I've no problem watching the Alien films, it's supernatural and demonic stuff I can't handle.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It is very interesting what makes peoples brains tick. I've spent my share of time in Sea of Thieves but I don't like going underwater in videogames.

Be brave, my friend. You'll be fine!!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Truk_Kurt wrote: January 24th, 2023, 8:56 am The thing is that makes me think I might be ok is that I don't find sci-fi that scary. For example I've no problem watching the Alien films, it's supernatural and demonic stuff I can't handle.
There is a logic to that, I think.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I've always found it interesting, the horror games that are most beloved to me don't SCARE me, but they give me the weirdest sense of euphoria. Like that whole sequence between the Historical Society and the Docks in Silent Hill 2 makes me feel like the hair on the back of my neck stands up, and I get hyper-focused, and it just gets my dopemine going. It's so weird.

What scares me most in games is lack of resources. Like being screwed for health and ammo. 😭 And even then, eventually that terror gives way to frustration, but it feels great to overcome. Jumpscares get me too. Tormented Souls had this jump scare moment where I actually jumped out of my friggin seat, because they're used so sparingly in that game. XD
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've mentioned it a few times before, but I can't get on with horror games at all. I've genuinely never seen a film that scared me, and the concept of being scared by a film just doesn't compute for me, but games are totally different. I remember playing a lot of Resident Evil 7 with the lights on and the sound off :lol:
Will Marley

Post by Will Marley »

Same here. Love horror, can't bear horror in games. I think it's the responsibility for the character. I can watch and enjoy ghastly tension or misfortune directed towards a third person on screen but have an enemy chase my in-game avatar and I will fill my nappy.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

That's really interesting, because I totally see where you guys are coming from... But I'm more inclined to dive straight into the abyss and confront terror in these sorts of games. Only have enough bullets to drop 2 zombies and I have to get past 4? Bring it on, kite two of 'em, kill the other two if I need to. Can' t stay hiding in that save room forever. I wanna know what's behind the veil, and whether the horror is material or psychological, I will use my avatar to confront it and find the truth.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 24th, 2023, 8:51 pmCan' t stay hiding in that save room forever.
Ha. I ended up deleting Alien Isolation after spending upwards half an hour hiding in a cupboard wondering if the alien was still in the next room.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Is Dead Space more survival horror or action horror? I haven't seen much of the game and purposely haven't looked anything up in anticipation of this remake but what I have seen gameplay wise, it never looked particularly stealthy.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Truk_Kurt wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:11 am Is Dead Space more survival horror or action horror? I haven't seen much of the game and purposely haven't looked anything up in anticipation of this remake but what I have seen gameplay wise, it never looked particularly stealthy.
I think that depends largely on what difficulty you play it on. On normal or harder, you will absolutely be scrambling for health and ammo. I wouldn't say there's much in the way of stealth, per se. However, Dead Space is a bit more generous than traditional survival horror because it often gives you checkpoints instead of relying exclusively on save points and such.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Goldeneye on Switch and Gamepass this Friday!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Also free on Xbox to owners of Rare Replay, so a Game Pass sub isn't necessarily required.

Trying to find out the Xbox purchase price for those who are neither Game Pass subscribers nor owners of Rare Replay.

Perfect Dark was 800 MSP (£6.80) when it hit XBLA back in 2010.

I'm not seeing an Xbox marketplace price quoted anywhere, so perhaps it isn't available for purchase separately (as per Switch)..?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm wondering if that's the only way it could fairly be done amongst every company involved. Rather than sales figures inflating on one console and it becoming uneven, they come to an agreement to have it via subs?

I don't like the option of not buying something but this is the modern world we live in. Having it for free via Rare Replay makes me a happy chappy despite having access to Gamepass and Switch Online through friends
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Never finished it on N64 so looking forward to giving it a try on Friday!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Oddly, I have heard it's not available to owners of the physical version of Rare Replay? Not sure if that's an assumption, but Microsoft has been using "owners of the digital version of Rare Replay" as specific verbiage.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Rare have said its a physical/digital licensing issue. What that means specifically is still mystery
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Backfirewall [PC, PS5, XSX, PS4, XBO] – January 30
Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition [XSX, XBO] – January 31
Inkulinati [PC, XSX, XBO] – January 31
Powerwash Simulator [PS5, PS4, Switch] – January 31
Powerwash Simulator: Tomb Raider Special Pack DLC [PC, PS5, XSX, PS4, XBO, Switch] – January 31
Season: A Letter to the Future [PC, PS5, PS4] – January 31
Second Front [PC] – January 31
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake [PC, PS4, XBO, Switch] – January 31
We Were Here Forever [PS5, XSX, PS4, XBO] – January 31
Deliver Us Mars [PC, XSX, PS5, XBO, PS4] – February 2
Fashion Police Squad [PS4, XBO, Switch] – February 2
Melvor Idle: Expanded Edition [PC] – February 2
Volcano Princess [PC] – February 2