Mercenary Kings

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Mercenary Kings

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's Contra meets Rogue Legacy.
It's Green Beret meets Spelunky.
It's Metal Slug meets Monster Hunter.

And, despite a few bugs and gameplay irritations, I'm somewhat hooked on this month's PS4 PS+ 'freebie'.
AndyKurosaki

Re: Mercenary Kings

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah it certainly seems good so far, it's certainly a better free game than Don't Starve, which I've not played much.
BasementShaxx

Post by BasementShaxx »

I'm really enjoying it so far, very satisfying in co-op, we should try and get a session going sometime
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've enjoyed my three or so hours with it so far! Not really a solo experience for me but if anyone's up for a game, we will sort out a session!
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I can imagine co-op would make it easier. I tried one mission earlier, kill 8 snipers with a 20 minute time limit. Found half of them pretty quickly, had killed 7 of them by the 10 minute mark. But I couldn't find the last one for the bloody life of me. Spent ages looking everywhere, even tried using the touchpad map. But ended up running out of time.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've played about an hour of co-op which was good fun indeed but I'm enjoying it solo in the same way as one might play Rogue Legacy or Spelunky.

There's a handy cyber-mod that I've just bought which shows the location of mission items on the map.
8-)
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Is the game also free on the PS3 ps plus or is it just for PS4?Im seeing some screenshots and the sprites look awesome and I've been starved for a Metal slug game for too long
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

It's not been released on the PS3.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

ratsoalbion wrote:I've played about an hour of co-op which was good fun indeed but I'm enjoying it solo in the same way as one might play Rogue Legacy or Spelunky.

There's a handy cyber-mod that I've just bought which shows the location of mission items on the map.
8-)
I'll have to invest in that mod as well. I thought the sniper might show up on the map, but I couldn't find him. That would be why then.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Don't seem to have acsess to that mod yet, could certainly do with it. Whoever decided "we should have our bosses run away!" is a bit of a twat. Combining that with a time limit, and respawning enemies can be really annoying.
It's good in places, but I wouldn't say it's brilliant yet.
It's definitely not in Metal Slug's league.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I agree about the bosses, though the game is different enough from a pure run and gun like Metal Slug for me to love it on its own merits. I've played about 15 hours so far and am thoroughly enjoying it.