The Street Fighter thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
HaloFandango

Re: The Street Fighter thread

Post by HaloFandango »

Stanshall wrote: August 2nd, 2019, 8:33 am https://youtu.be/3UaXhe_XPsU

I might have already shared this in the thread somewhere but this Daigo vs Momochi Grand Final from 2015 is as exciting and mind-blowing as any Street Fighter I've seen. Both players seemingly at their peak and what starts out as an incredible display of footsies and tech turns into a high-risk high-reward slugfest. Unbelievable skills, unbelievable reads and subversion, nerves of steel. The commentary is also some of the best I've ever heard.
I will have to re-watch this, thanks for the shout-out. I love me some high level and tense fighting game matches.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's a classic, hope you enjoy it!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Stanshall wrote: August 7th, 2020, 6:22 am It's a classic, hope you enjoy it!
I really enjoyed it man, it is a great back and forth between the two of them! In the SF4 days, there were quite a few EVO finals where I was on the edge of my seat!
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Ethan Coleman

Post by Ethan Coleman »

Guys, is there any information about upcoming events related to Street Fighter?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ethan Coleman wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:00 am Guys, is there any information about upcoming events related to Street Fighter?
https://capcomprotour.com/schedule/

Seems like they have upcoming events on there. :)
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

I saw that Nacon Pro Compact Xbox controller being advertised on Twitter and YouTube, and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it, and if so, is it any good for fighting games?

I love my Xbox Series controller, but I'm afraid that d-pad is shockingly bad for fighting games (in my opinion :P)
Seph

Post by Seph »

After skipping out on Street Fighter IV as I was waiting for the final edition and by the time it came out I had other things going on, I finally played the Ultra version for the first time yesterday.

At first I felt a little lost without the V triggers (I had picked up the fifth one in a sale years ago), but I soon got my head around it. I started an arcade run on normal with my V main Akuma, but I'm out of practice for such a complex character. I shifted to Sagat and never turned back. I tried out Guile a bit too as he was my main on II, but I really don't like how he feels on this one.

I used my PC Saturn controller and it has earned its keep with this game. Perfect button placement and the d-pad is ideal for rolls.
Feirsteax

Post by Feirsteax »

Feirsteax wrote: August 24th, 2021, 10:21 am I love my Xbox Series controller, but I'm afraid that d-pad is shockingly bad for fighting games (in my opinion :P)
You know what, I tried today to give it another chance, and I mihgt have to retract this statement... :mrgreen:

Played a bit of Real Bout: Fatal Fury Special this morning. The game was very difficult, CPU kept kicking my ass and I only got to the 3rd enemy (this dancing guy called Bob), but I was able to pull off pretty every special move with ease, just using the Series controller d-pad.

Hmmm, I am going to stick with it for another few weeks and see how it goes. If it's half-decent, it'll save me dropping £20, £30, £40 quid on a "fightpad" which may not be that useful for non-fighting games.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Vinyl Soundtrack Collection by Laced Records Announced, Pre-orders Live https://www.lacedrecords.com/collection ... iple-vinyl
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

So here's a new one: why, in Street Fighter V, am I now jumping when I press the Heavy Kick button (in my case, RT on an Xbox One controller)? It only started with the Oro/Akira update, and it's made the game even more unplayable than it was on my end. It's only during gameplay, too, rather than menu navigation, and I am pretty sure no other games that use the controller have this issue.

[The answer, several months later: it was definitely my controller.]
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

So SFVI has been announced, and the mire of SFV still hasn't left its presence. This isn't helped by the fact it's introduction has been rocky, with a bland main character and seemingly too-soon marketing push to end 5 and move on.

Also, Capcom has introduced new regulations to doing tournaments for SFV(and presumably SFVI) which no one likes. Tournament organizers are already saying 'welp, guess we just won't run SFV, then'.

For perspective, SNK is making it EASIER to do tournies with their games.

Capcom has already lost presence in the FGC, and they may just learn that the FGC doesn't need Capcom(It's not like they're Smash), especially now. There's an embarrassment of riches, and even older games are being pandemic-proofed with things like rollback netcode. I am still a bit baffled that Capcom seems to be able to impress in every arena OUTSIDE of fighting games. Supposedly, Ono was hard to work with but he's gone now, so either that was untrue or there's more to know. Listening to Jeff Grubb's grubbsnax over on Giantbomb, and he states capcom is very money centric, so their push for esports makes sense through that lens, but it's still a head scratcher. While many will buy on name alone, SFV and Marvel infinite are sure to make people at least consider waiting before grabbing it. I'm weary of SFVI, and as I've already said, there's plenty of games I can play without supporting Capcom.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

So, Street Fighter 6 has been almost-nearly-fully-revealed, and despite the rocky 1st teaser and weird introduction of Luke in SFV, it’s actually looking pretty good. Although Capcom never really recovered in terms of Marvel vs Capcom infinite or SFV, in SFV’s case at least, people seem to be much more palatable to what the game had become in the latter part of its life. Ono, who was allegedly hard to work with, exited Capcom some time ago, and Enter the most recent news:

SF6 actually looks really good. It seems to be pulling from both SFIV and SFIII, and most importantly, it seems like they’re actually putting money into the game. For those not in the know, with MVCI and SFV(really, a lot of capcom fighters lately….)’s Capcom banked BIG on esports success, leaving many important things at the wayside. Them showing the open world section(which might be single player?) is a big step to assuage fears that SF6 will be threadbare like SFV. I am very cautious as modern Capcom fighting games have really let me down.

I’m definitely happy SF is coming back to the hip hop workings of SFIII(and parries!?!), but it also seems like they’re going back to SFIV to grab a distinct art style with flourishes. SFV’s art was weird to say the least, so hopefully we won’t see anything reminding us of Abigail.

No one really likes these online lobbies, so I’m not sure what exactly they’re doing that for, but it’s clear in watching videos from some talking heads, there’s character customization for your hoodied MC. Generally, online lobbies are either inoffensive or actively bad(see numerous ArcSys games). I imagine there’ll be microtransactions there.

They’ve also announced a Smash Bros. control style, so this is DEFINITELY a departure. This wouldn’t be the first time(SFIV for DS?), but it’s clear they saw how much money Smash Ultimate was printing, and are ready for it.

As is tradition in fighting games, the entire roster leaked. Because this is pretty definitive, I will not talk about or post the link to the leaks here(I’m sure you can find it if this interests you). I am a bit disappointed as I’m not really being pulled into any direction with the characters that have been shown(would it kill Capcom to give me a black American fighter who’s NOT Boxer/Balrog?) unlike…pretty much every major fighter, even SFV.

I will also say, we know there’s going to be DLC, and it’s very suspicious this game takes place in metro city. I’ll leave it at that.

Of course, there’s a lot more to learn, but Capcom needs to assure us it has Rollback netcode(the golden standard for good online fighting games), and win back the hearts and minds of people slighted in the last couple years. They had rollback in MVCI IIRC, but of course, no one cared.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Almost 10 years before SFIV for 3DS we had 'E.O.' (easy operation) mode for Capcom Vs. SNK 2 on GameCube.

I like the look of the Splatoon effects and character art of SF6. It feels a bit more vibrant and stylish to me rather than the somehow sterile SFV.
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 7th, 2022, 3:05 pm Almost 10 years before SFIV for 3DS we had 'E.O.' (easy operation) mode for Capcom Vs. SNK 2 on GameCube.

I like the look of the Splatoon effects and character art of SF6. It feels a bit more vibrant and stylish to me rather than the somehow sterile SFV.
Interesting and agreed!
raisinbman

Post by raisinbman »

Ladies, gents, other denominations, closed beta soon: https://www.streetfighter.com/6/cbt/en/

EDIT 10/5: Looks like closed beta invites went out, i did indeed get one. I'll probably be streaming it(in part because i'm doing a video game club at school)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I haven't messed with the betas, but I'm really enjoying the final release of SF6. Even though SFV became better and better over time, it never stopped feeling like an eSports geared DLC live service portal, rather than a fully featured fighting game... So the contrast, especially on launch couldn't have been starker.

I'm having fun, trying out characters, using practice mode, playing arcade mode, local versus and even World Tour mode (which is surprisingly clever in a number of ways). I also played 3 matches online versus one of my bestest pals in Germany last night and that was much smoother than even the best matches we had in SFV.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Normally I would've bought at launch this but I really struggled with the demo on my Series S with regards to the D-Pad.

Diagonals didn't seem to regster at all and the only semi-decent third party controller (the Hori OctoPad) has pretty scathing reviews of its own D-Pad. Too skint for a fight stick at the moment too :(
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Yeah, that sucks. I'm playing on PC with my PS4 Qanba arcade stick, myself.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Sod it, I'm buying it - played a bit more of the demo last night and it's just too much fun.

Anyone else bar Michiel playing this? Be nice to set up a Cane and Rinse group if there's a few of us.