Hosts Ryan Hamann (@InsrtCoins) and Darren Gargette (@dezm0nd) are joined by the legendary composer Grant Kirkhope, as he talks about his work with Rare and beyond! From the plucky Banjo to a sound that is Beyond Earth, Kirkhope brings a wide array of tracks to share with Sound of Play listeners as he tells stories about working in a converted chicken coop at Rare to being contacted by Nintendo for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of some of our favourite pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking, and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.
Music used in this podcast:
1. Peach’s Castle by Grant Kirkhope – Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, 2017
2. Fungi Forest – Mushroom Stem / Mushroom Top by Grant Kirkhope – Donkey Kong 64, 1999
3. Skeletons by Grant Kirkhope – Grabbed by the Ghoulies, 2003
4. Sunrise Whisper by Grant Kirkhope – Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise, 2008
5. Balor by Grant Kirkhope – Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, 2012
6. Fractal Aquilon by Grant Kirkhope – Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth – Rising Tide, 2014
7. Core Hunting by Grant Kirkhope – Dropzone (2016), 2016
8. Spiral Mountain by Grant Kirkhope – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2019
Sound of Play 207 was edited by Ryan Hamann
Remember, it’s not just about what we like, so venture over to our forum at caneandrinse.com and put forward your own suggestions so that we might include them in future shows.