All things Half-Life

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

All things Half-Life

Post by dezm0nd »

http://www.blackmesasource.com

Holy shit! Its out in 12 days!
Alex79

Re: Half Life - Black Mesa Source

Post by Alex79 »

Hasn't it been 'coming out in 12 days' for the best part of 8 years? I don't want to be a damp squib, but if that game comes out in 12 days I'll eat my tie (I don't own a hat).
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It does seem a lot more credible now though, what with that video "leaking" of almost 10 minutes of gameplay. It's been a long time in dev and i'll believe it when I see it but i'm hopeful that countdown on the website isn't a bunch of lies.

The facebook page posts are very positive in it coming out in the forthcoming weeks, too and I don't see why they'd lie about it as this isn't a shoddy company making a shoddy game (Duke Nukem Forver)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

If it does come out, I'll be all over it. :D
daveuk82

Post by daveuk82 »

what exactly is it, this is the first ive heard of it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

When Half Life 2 came out, an amateur dev team started building the first Half Life game, shot for shot, in the new HL2 Source engine. Early screenshots looked brilliant. This was years ago. Over the years I think the game evolved from being a straight up copy of the original Half Life in to something 'based' on it. So it was still basically Half Life 1 in the Source engine, but not an exact, map for map straight up copy.

It was exciting all those years ago, but I kind of lost interest in it and stopped following progress ages ago. If it's finally finished, that's great news, but we've been here many times before lol.
daveuk82

Post by daveuk82 »

thanks wizardoffodd it sounds good but ill keep my ear to the ground regarding it and do a bit more research but we will see what happens thanks for the info dude.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I'm really intrigued to play this. The leaked video does seem to suggest they are close!
W1DGET

Post by W1DGET »

They are going to release it but but have said it isn't finished! Why keep us waiting all this time and then finally give in and give us an unfinished package. I have waited years for it, think I can wait a bit longer for it to be completed.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

W1DGET wrote:They are going to release it but but have said it isn't finished! Why keep us waiting all this time and then finally give in and give us an unfinished package. I have waited years for it, think I can wait a bit longer for it to be completed.
Well it's clearly because they heard Cane and Rinse were doing a podcast on the Half Life series and had to get it out there for all of us to play ASAP :D
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

That's definitely the reason ;)

Also, as an aside, they may want to cover themselves once it does come out, as there will no doubt be some bugs and people will whinge not remembering this wasn't made by a professional team and is a free mod.

I'm pleased, as they were dangerously close to being in perpetual nearly mode. I think at some point you have to go for it when you haven't actually got an actual deadline looming.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

So I guess I should work out which version of Half Life I should replay for the upcoming Cane and Rinse podcast.

I originally played though the game on PS2 ( Yes I know that version was shit ) but now I have the choice of playing it again on PC in vanilla form or with the added glamour of the source update?

I'm going to guess we are not going to count this remake as canon?
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I would suggest Half-Life Source, as actually they didn't really do much to textures etc. It will feel very much like the original, but with a bit better physics and slightly improved character models (I think?). When it came out, people were a bit disappointed they hadn't done more to revamp it.

The remake is a bit of an unknown entity, but it certainly will play substantially different to the original game.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

The countdown would've been a lot more fun if the Apple September event had been happening on the 14th instead of the 12th. Like, hysterically more fun.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So this is basically Half Life HD then or is that generalising it too much?
W1DGET

Post by W1DGET »

DomsBeard wrote:So this is basically Half Life HD then or is that generalising it too much?
Basically yes, Half-Life running on source engine with HD textures etc.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Go for Half Life Source, Tony. Black Mesa Source isn't canon and they've added their own vibe to the game with cheese voice acting and other gameplay ideas like iron sights.

This version of BMS will allow us to play up until Xen but not actually Xen itself due to it not being finished yet. No big deal, it's the worst part!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just FYI I'll be playing Half-Life Source (again) for the podcast.
:)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah that's what I did recently but will be playing both the PS2 version and BMS for shits and giggles.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I was interested in this project a long time ago, but the problem is, time has moved on and I'm still not a fan of the Source engine. This game would have looked great at the time but from its time of development the engine and technology has been superseded many times over. If this was in CryEngine 3 for example, I'd be super excited for it, heck, even Unreal Engine 3. But it's not and that already imposes some limitations there. I find that a little disappointing. Especially given my feelings on Half Life in the first place.