Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
BasementShaxx

Re: Dark Souls I & II

Post by BasementShaxx »

Took me just over 100 hours but I beat Dark Souls II, every boss done except for the one tied to a covenant, and Vendrick.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Damocles693 wrote:Took me just over 100 hours but I beat Dark Souls II, every boss done except for the one tied to a covenant, and Vendrick.
Actually yeah same here, took about 90 hours to do that. First game I put over 140 hours in to, a lot of which was spent farming rats for humanity.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

I completed Dark souls 2 yesterday. As much is a enjoyed it , it just seams a bit dry competed to the first game. I'm glade that there next game is not a souls game.
BasementShaxx

Post by BasementShaxx »

So I'm up to Blighttown in Dark Souls now, never got this far last time I tried to play it. How did this part of the game pass QA? The framerate is so low it's making me feel ill, between that and the endless poison enemies I'm really struggling to reach the second bonfire.
BasementShaxx

Post by BasementShaxx »

Got down there in the end through blind luck and beat Quelaag, Sen's Fortress is quite pleasant in comparison!
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

I've heard a lot of negative comments about Dark Souls 2, as someone who loved the last two souls games (probably preferring Demon's to be honest) would you say that Dark Souls is actually a bad game? Or is it just a worse experience than the first Dark Souls? If you were to sum the game in one sentence, how would you chose to do so?
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Dark Souls 2 is in know way a bad game. I think it suffers from the weight of the first games success with the expectations being so high. Also I think that a big part of the appeal of Dark souls was learning the game , going into a second dark souls game part of the learning is already been done in the first.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Bakers_12 wrote:Dark Souls 2 is in know way a bad game. I think it suffers from the weight of the first games success with the expectations being so high. Also I think that a big part of the appeal of Dark souls was learning the game , going into a second dark souls game part of the learning is already been done in the first.
Hmm... I felt a degree of that moving from Demon's to Dark but ultimately the change in world structure and new systems such as Humanity meant that there were enough new systems to learn that it became less of an issue. So, I can see how a direct sequel could suffer from that.

Are the bosses in 2 as memorable as the first (and Demons')?
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

If you like a bunch of guys in Armor then yes,there are a feel good ones but overall I think most bosses are pretty bland but there's alot more bosses in total this time so I think that's part of the problem there
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Todinho wrote:If you like a bunch of guys in Armor then yes,there are a feel good ones but overall I think most bosses are pretty bland but there's alot more bosses in total this time so I think that's part of the problem there
That's sad, I only completed Demons' in March and Dark in May but I still remember the bosses, the setting I thought them in and the order I tackled them in. I think often about going back and tackling them in NG+ and the only thing that stops me is the pile of games I have elsewhere. My point being they left an impact and to be told that DS2 probably doesn't achieve that is very disappointing.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

I don't think the Bosses are bad in 2 just not as Iconic as the ones in 1. There isn't a boss that takes on the mythic qualities of the Capra Deamon or the four kings
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

...then there's Sif.
Sean

Post by Sean »

arry_g wrote:If you were to sum the game in one sentence, how would you chose to do so?
"A disappointing Souls game is still better than most games."
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Sean wrote:
arry_g wrote:If you were to sum the game in one sentence, how would you chose to do so?
"A disappointing Souls game is still better than most games."
So, still a great game then? Just burdened by its legacy?
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Dark Souls 2 is the best game of 2014 so far in my opinion. I put 85+ hours in, and I'm well up for the dlc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

arry_g wrote:So, still a great game then? Just burdened by its legacy?
Kinda. I'd argue there's some legitimately bad stuff in the game, regardless of the legacy. Fortunately, there's some good stuff, too, though.

I think, ultimately, the most telling thing about the game, for me, is that I'm done with it. I don't think I'll ever be done with Dark or Demon's. I always love going back into Boletaria and Lordran.

I don't miss Drangleic one bit, though.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Does the Season Pass DLC at least tempt you at all?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Not really, if I'm honest. I'll wait for some impressions.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Regarding the original Dark Souls...

Before fighting the final boss can you kill the remaining Fire Keepers without consequence in NG+? Is the only negative impact covenant and bonfire related?
CapinGreen

Post by CapinGreen »

Yeah, everything resets in NG+ as far as I'm aware.

Has anybody checked out the Dark Souls 2 DLC yet? I've gone through it and I have to say it's one of the high points of Dark Souls 2, it really gets back to the kind of level design seen in Dark Souls.