Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
KSubzero1000

Re: Shmups

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 17th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Yeah, that one has been on my list ever since it's been announced. Looks really cool!

clippa

Post by clippa » July 18th, 2019, 5:24 am

Aaaah, that's the mouse control shmup I was trying to remember!
It's free if anyone wants to try it. We were talking about modern shmups that did something different with their controls. I haven't tried it so I can't comment on it's quality but the steam reviews are pretty positive.

Legacy of the Elder Star

ScReEnShAkE!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » July 18th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Thread has got even more awesome since heading off the the wilderness :)

Dropping by to say I just finished Dariusburst on PSP, used a few continues but it was a blast. It kinda feels like how I want the likes of R-Type & Thunder Force to feel - a non-bullet Hell hori which is playable and fun, and not obscenely difficult enough to stop me enjoying the content. Mad fish bosses, exciting scenery / enemy movement stuff, enjoyable weapons. Excellent! Couldn’t make sense of the story due to Japanese text but from what I gather there was a ship that shot stuff and then things were ok.

More of this please!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 18th, 2019, 7:58 pm

He's back! And he hasn't been mauled by bears!

I couldn't quite get on with Dariusburst myself, but glad to know you've enjoyed it. What's next on the menu?

clippa

Post by clippa » July 19th, 2019, 8:36 am

Mauled by bears or balled by mayors. Gun to your head, you have 15 seconds to decide.

Image Image

They are gentle, considerate lovers, if that helps you decide. The bears, that is. Those two have over 120 years of pent up sexual frustration between them. They won those medals around their necks for shagging bears to death.

I wasn't too into dariusburst either, I remember Stanshall being unimpressed but he did get into it later on.
I think I'm just spoiled by bullet hell, my attention starts to drift if there's not a hundred bullets on the screen, even big mechanical fish don't seem to cut it. I did 1cc a couple of the easier routes and spend 10 hours or so on it, but never felt like I was enjoying myself.
I can see the appeal, learning the stages and figuring out when best to deploy that laser turret thingy. Lots of "content" there too if you get into that mode with all the different levels.

Was that the only one you really played or were there some stinkers that weren't even worth mentioning?

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » July 19th, 2019, 3:34 pm

I've been getting back from into Futari pretty enthusiastically. I suspect I'll be playing it for as long as my faculties hold up. I've been trying to improve my score on stage one and while my best is still 52m, by the time I'm done I'm going to obliterate that. I've decided to just practise the riskiest, highest scoring strats again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again until I get them down. Even though it's very repetitive and it might be annoying to a lot of people, including me, it's also really really satisfying when a little micro section clicks or something new happens and you think damnnn I'm going to find out how to recreate that and after another fifty attempts you see what it was and then another fifty and you can start to replicate it with some consistency.

My best 'combo' at the midboss on my 52m type of run is about 9k but I'm now on target for more like 12-15k, but I'll let you know when I get consistent! It's also true that once you start properly playing for score, the game opens up so much and while there are obviously many routes and approaches available, it does seem that when you're scoring heavily, there is a logic to your movements and choices. Equally, there are several moments where you might think the next step is obvious but there are red herrings to avoid, ie. Sometimes, you're better off not clearing up a whole row of bigger enemies. You should take out only the first two before rushing back up to point blank the next big guy just off screen and shred hundreds of gems. It's a very satisfying feeling to 'break' what the game seems to expect of you.

I also need to learn how to best milk the midboss which is simply a case of learning the patterns and movements and practising until it's down because that's another really high scoring section that can't be missed. The second half is relatively straightforward, just milk the bigger enemies when they're off screen and clean up the popcorn which gets in the way. The end of stage boss is also pretty easy, you just need to trigger his suicide attack for another couple of high-scoring attacks to get more point blank gems and bullets you can cancel.

It would be much easier to post a vid, but anyway.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 19th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Man, I can picture you with your collar open, chain-smoking, diagrams all over the office, picture of larsa with a dart through her forehead.
I admire your approach, training, chipping away, aiming to milk every last drop of score out of the game.
If you manage to put it all together and have a decent run, you'll be shitting all over my score from such a height.

Had a go of rolling gunner casual today to see if I could beat my score. I did, but look at the state of it. Peanuts!
I wanna get up to 200,000,000, but it seems a long way off.
Still not ready for normal I don't think. Why'd they have to call it normal? It's not doing my self esteem any good. May as well call casual "subnormal" or "lardy disappointment mode".

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » July 19th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Perhaps my Dariusburst is your Curious Expedition clips! Usually on holiday I’d be playing a narrative heavy game like Phoenix Wright or something but you lot have literally ruined my gaming diversity, so thanks. I chose to play a non-bullet Hell shmup.

Aside from listening to the bloke (or his wife??) in the nearby tent snoring, or getting up at 4am to squat my horrids over my son’s potty due to drinking too much Hobgoblin there hasn’t been room for much else gaming wise. I’m actually amazed I completed something, even though you fucks won’t acknowledge it since I didn’t 1cc it while driving and getting blown off with a thumb up my arse.

Also: I’ve missed you all :roll:

Since I’ve still got this tenner in PayPal should I get R-Type EX which is on sale for £8? Aye?

clippa

Post by clippa » July 19th, 2019, 6:35 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 6:26 pm
getting up at 4am to squat my horrids over my son’s potty
:lol: Big snorty laughter at that!
hazeredmist wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 6:26 pm
I’m actually amazed I completed something, even though you fucks won’t acknowledge it
Oh, alright then, you can have half a biscuit.

I'm the wrong person to ask about r-type. I know it's a classic and most people love it, but I think it's boring and smelly. I just don't have the patience for it.
You seem to be digging the old school, slower paced games though, it might be worth a go. Lots of gotcha moments in the r-type series if I remember rightly, a lot of "Oh, you had absolutely no idea that was coming? What a shame, best put another 10p in, mate"

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » July 19th, 2019, 6:48 pm

...and that’s the shit I don’t like! From checking reviews this has an “infinite” mode where bairns can play and brute force their way through the content which is cool. So it appeals due to that. I wouldn’t say I’m drawn to this stuff as such, more that I’m adding to the catalogue of shmups and looking for some variety. Darius was a chance thing really as I ran out of time, I’ve got a shitload more to play I’m just feeling the fire in the PayPal pocket. My love for this genre very much lies in bullet hell tbh, but I’m trying to expand the horizons where possible? Since it’s destroying all my other gaming interests 😂

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 19th, 2019, 6:53 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 6:48 pm
I’ve got a shitload more to play I’m just feeling the fire in the PayPal pocket.
Real talk: I think it'd be smarter to focus on one of the games you already have for the time being and keep the money for the next time a big sale comes around.

But that's just me. :)

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » July 19th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Owls are wise. I should listen to them :owl:

clippa

Post by clippa » July 19th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Yeah, that might be a good idea, but I know what it's like when you're got a quid burning a hole in your pocket there's a shiny new game winking at you. We've all been there!

That infinite mode sounds good. As much as I agreed wholeheartedly with your reasoning for disliking sky force, there are a few people on here who like it and I'm sure they could give some convincing reasons for doing so if they felt like they needed to justify it.

It's great seeing you forging your own path and trying different stuff to see if it clicks for you.
Don't worry too much about whether or not us arseholes rate a certain game. I'm sure everyone would agree, nobody here is an authority on anything and we all like different games.
If you ended up really enjoying something and singing it's praises, I know, even if it's something I didn't get on with, it'd convince me to give it another try and see what I was missing.

R-type is probably on your raspberry pi if you want to try before you buy. The shmups forum do a top 25 vote every year and you wouldn't believe how often it turns up on there.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » July 19th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Clippa, you got me exactly. I've got lots of red string all over the place, planning routes, trying to say moderately sane, trying not to launch the fuckin stick through the telly whenever I point blank a bit million bullets out of some Dragon's gob.

Greatham work on the Rolling Gunner, by the way. I find Casual Mode really tough for scoring, I gotta say. Normal Mode is definitely brutal but the actual scoring is more lucrative and I kind of get it better. I was talking to some dude on Twitter and he showed me a few strats and he got 60m+ on stage one which was an improvement on my best but it's such such fine margins. Great game but the scoring is unbelievably tight and precise.

Haze, good on you, fella. Glad you're enjoying these sparse austere memory bastards. I'd say R-Type is worth it it but it's a bit of a prick, as well. You just have to learn the routes obsessively and execute perfectly, I reckon. It's not as free-form as bullet hell stuff can be.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 20th, 2019, 9:20 am

Stanshall wrote:
July 19th, 2019, 7:15 pm
the scoring is unbelievably tight and precise.
Innit? It seems like you really have to learn the exact places in each stage when to set off your hypers, and I just like to let my green gauge run out before I switch to red, but it looks like you're better off switching to red when it makes the most sense since you get far more score from that. I'm gonna experiment some more. That last stage is where most of my score comes from and of course that's always where I make the most mistakes.

It's back. Ta da! - https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ninten ... 79161.html

Hellsinker is go - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1067720/Hellsinker/

Highlights from the user reviews so far

"It's ridicoulsly convoluted"
"pretentious pile of garbage"
"i have no idea what's going on"
"Incomprehensibly gimmicky & ugly amateur puzzle-shmup with Touhou-esque looping backgrounds instead of real stages. For weebs only."

Whahey! I had this happen a few months ago so I captured it this time, sometimes when you're looking at reviews on steam and choose negative only and any language, this happens. I just goes like that forever! - https://streamable.com/kv2me
Look, I know it's not very exciting but I don't get out much, alright?

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » July 20th, 2019, 12:53 pm

Aye it’s more a case of amassing a collection when games are on sale, R-Type feels like a bit of a history lesson too, no? The infinite lives thing sounds great to me, more points the less lives you lose etc. - I wouldn’t get to it right away, there is a bit of a queue.

I sat down last night to play a game, all set up but was so fucked I couldn’t manage it. Camping took all my energy. Fired up a Queen documentary instead and passed out by 10. Rock & roll 😂 see what tonight brings. Might fire up DDP Resurrection, try black label or arrange. If I can stay awake

clippa

Post by clippa » July 20th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Yeah, I hear you. I've been busy as a bee, I might have a quick blast of rolling gunner tonight when I'm winding down and then just veg out with some more curious expedition or spelunky.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » July 20th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Nice. It's great that Rolling Gunner is back for EU sales, I wonder what that was all about...

I've continued camping ethos at home btw - the electric cool box thing is now set up next to my chair so I don't have to arse myself to walk to the fridge for a beer. Dream.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 20th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Oh gawd, you're asking for trouble, that stagger to the fridge might be the only reminder your heart gets to keep pumping in between tinnies. How big is it? How many beers can you get in there? You'll be three times the size and covered in your own vomit come this time next week.

Yeah, I'd love a little explanation of what the hell went on on the official rolling gunner twitter, but I imagine we'll get nadda.

clippa

Post by clippa » July 20th, 2019, 4:33 pm

I'm scared!

Wish me luck, boys!