The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: PlayStation Vita

Post by Alex79 »

I've got a 4GB and an 8GB card and its a right pain in the ass having to keep swap them over and juggle games about.
countstex

Post by countstex »

We've just ordered one. Being a PS+ member it's already a no brainer, add to that we'll be picking up a PS4 long before an XB1 and there is no reason not to.
The £ 169 offer with 10 games and 8GB stick is also hard to ignore.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

It has to be a huge temptation for anyone who's getting a PS4. I think remote play is going to be a big deal next generation. It's certainly something I'm jealous about with wii u owners.
flyingtortoise

Post by flyingtortoise »

I have to say that following from the recent rounds of conferences that the Playstation proposition is looking a lot more interested then the XBOX. The one area that is especially interesting to me is the ability to play any game on a mobile device as well as an under the TV device and Sony seem to be getting there with their remote play. From that standpoint I'm certainly interested in the Vita, although my 3DS is still used regularly...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Good indie scene on Vita too, which only promises to get bigger. Wish it could be opened up for homebrew but of course that just invites piracy too.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I'm a recent Vita convert, getting by fine with an 8GB card at the moment. But I prefer physical copies so my games aren't really making a dent in it at the moment. There's a lot of digital content on my radar though...
NokkonWud

Re: PlayStation 4

Post by NokkonWud »

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So the free games on Plus this week? Unit 13 looks like a solid, if forgettable shooter but I'd not even heard of that Ninja Gaiden game before. Anyone played it? I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game at all.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Alex79uk wrote:So the free games on Plus this week? Unit 13 looks like a solid, if forgettable shooter but I'd not even heard of that Ninja Gaiden game before. Anyone played it? I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game at all.
For shame. :cry:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sadly Darren Forman never posts here, because it would be fair to say that he is quite into Ninja Gaiden.
However, the best I can do in the short time I have is to point you to this Metacritic page for the Xbox version (of which this Vita title is a remake):
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox/ninja-gaiden-black

Of course, the Xbox game was a reboot of this NES title:

And/or this totally different arcade game of the same name (known as Shadow Warriors over here):

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah ok, always meant to play that Ninja Gaiden Black so I'll give this a try.

(Although when I said I'd never played a Ninja Gaiden game I meant the new ones. I played the old isometric (?) ones on 8-bit).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It's brutally difficult, but if you get past the first boss (where many have given up) you'll probably get into it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Worth a try. Spelunky is out this month too, looking forward to that one.
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

It is an odd machine the Vita. I would still struggle to really pinpoint the games that make it a must have, but can identify tons of games worth having if you buy one.

It is a handheld that seems to have some of the best and most accessible range of interesting titles on the move but nothing that makes it feel particularly unique. Whereas with the 3DS you can point to Mario 3D land, Fire Emblem and others that really sell the platform the Vita has a lot of great ports and cross platform deals but not a lot else that jumps out. Hopefully some of the software shown for the system becomes that major USP.

Have to also say not that bothered about remote play myself. If I am at home it will be on the big screen, if I am away I am rarely at a place where I have relaible and easy internet so the main driver for the machine is purely what software it brings.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

I've never really subscribed to the theory that a console needs a killer ap. As long as it has loads of great games (which the Vita does) than I'm more than happy.

As for remote play, I can see that it's not useful for everyone, but for people like me it's huge. My gaming time is so limited due to family life at the moment so this opens up whole new opportunities to game for me. I can only imagine that as gamers are getting older these days, there will be many others out there like me. This alone in my view is a massive selling point for the Vita.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm, but it'll never be completely lag free which totally kills it for me.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Alex79uk wrote:Hmm, but it'll never be completely lag free which totally kills it for me.
I don't know about that. I played about three hours of SOTC over local connection and experienced no lag what so ever. And I'm guessing that Gailai will only help improve things.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Nice, looks like our PS3 headsets are all supported on the PS4 after months of "I'm 99% certain it will work". There's similar chatter going on for steering wheels and I'm starting to think that if the rock band kit is also supported we'll be seeing accessories that span 3 generations of hardware in the near future.

Even mouse and keyboard are getting a few shouts once again this time around, if that pushes Company of Heroes 2 and a new band game to the new systems you can call me a happy man!

It does make me think how integral the touch pad is (besides being the start button) as to why they don't just say "Ok, buy another game! Your dual shock 3 will be a good enough stand in as a second pad".

As it stands, the headset stuff is cleared up well in advance but once again the do no wrong train looks like no fad!

Edited, thanks Nokkon :)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

mikeleddy83 wrote:Nice, looks like our PS3 headsets are all supported on the PS3
I would hope so ;).

But in all seriousness, it is good news.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

So the question is.. Where's the cheapest place to buy one now before everyone twigs and they sell out?