Grand Theft Auto / GTA Online

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
mikeleddy83

Re: All things Grand Theft Auto

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Alex79uk wrote:Aha good tip!

And finally I've managed to access that mission too so I can crack on with the single player.
Well that's a relief, did it just fix itself with the new patch?
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Finished the campaign last night although online still isn't working for me. Sometimes I get as far as the character creastion screen but more often than not I jst get the loading screen and get no further. It's a right pain!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

No Mike because it still wasn't working last night after the patch, but today it just worked fine.

The strangers and freaks mission where Franklin follows the dog just had me in stitches.

:lol:
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

So I managed to get in to the crew, but now I've had two online characters get deleted. I think I might stay away from the game for a while until they sort all this rubbish out. I'm not sitting through that tutorial another bloody time.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Scrustle wrote:So I managed to get in to the crew, but now I've had two online characters get deleted. I think I might stay away from the game for a while until they sort all this rubbish out. I'm not sitting through that tutorial another bloody time.
That's odd, I had a few characters get deleted on the first day but it's been okay since, it's even remembering my rank and money now. After getting through the entirety of the tutorial you should have been fine. Sorry to hear that you're still having problems :(
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Fuck sake man, it's lost my online character too. He was only rank five but still, just not acceptable. There's no way I'm going back online for at least a month now. Worst game launch ever. :/
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yep, heard several similar tales of woe today. Still giving this a swerve until such time as it's actually, properly, fully and definitely functional.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Me too! Real balls up.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Is it PS3 people suffering lost characters? Or 360 people too? Everyone I know who seems to be getting the issues is on PS3.

I'll tell you one thing: right now you really aren't missing much. It's very underwhelming.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I'm on 360, and I believe magicjoef is too. This seconds deletion came after the most recent patch too.

I have been able to play a few sessions though. Some have been quite good. It's much better with friends because you can just dick around and no one cares. If you're all mates it's not really trolling, it's just having a laugh. Like one time a friend picked me up with a chinook, while I was in my car, and dropped me on another friend who was AFK and killed him. They also tried picking me up while I was on a dirt bike. I spun around on the hook and then fell off hundreds of feet to my death. Another time we were in the airport messing about, and everyone was getting in to a bus at the end of the runway. I was in a plane at the time so I decided to fly low and crash right in to them and blow everyone up. They had no idea I was coming. Damn fun. That's just a few stories from the madness of one session. Oh, and this also happened:

But when it's just you and a bunch of randoms, and you get some dick chasing you down trying to kill you while you're trying to do something else, it's just annoying. I've found deathmatches and the like to be kind of crap too. You're running around like a blind moron with those sluggish controls, not really being able to see anyone, and then suddenly you get killed so fast you have no time to react. Racing with randoms is bullshit too. People crashing everywhere and causing pileups so you have no hope of getting out of last place, etc.

I think that the way the MP works is at odds with this progression system they have. Or at least I simply don't like it. It's supposed to be a sandbox game, with competitive features to it too. But they've designed it so that all the best stuff is locked behind a huge grind. It means that the best toys for the sandbox aren't available unless you play lots of bullshit you don't want to, or if you actually want to compete you're put up against unfair odds.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Flabyo wrote:I'll tell you one thing: right now you really aren't missing much. It's very underwhelming.
I've been on 360 with my friends for most of the weekend and I've had an incredible laugh playing it. Certainly not underwhelming. In fact, it's beyond anything I'd thought it was going to be. It's a real social thing though. Voice chat, challenges etc.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Maybe I should rephrase that. It isn't what they made it out to be in the trailers, and as a result it isn't what I wanted to play.
Skypotter1138

Post by Skypotter1138 »

Is there a cane and rinse crew? Would like to join. None of my xbl friends are playing gta v. Which is still baffling me but hey ho. So looking for some good peeps to play online with as I don't like the griefers just want to have a laugh and do some of the co-op missions with like minded peeps.

Skypotter
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There is indeed. Karl/Nokkon will add you.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

ratsoalbion wrote:There is indeed. Karl/Nokkon will add you.
Any of myself, yourself, Sean, Darren F, Darren G or James can recruit people (The others aren't on the Social Club as far as I'm aware.)
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Right, I managed to break it (the online mode)! First glitch in over 100 hours:

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Crikey, I thought I put a lot of time in at 20 hours. I'm level 23 at the moment, you must be far higher. Can't check on the PS3 side of things via the Social Club website as it doesn't organise in correct leaderboard format sadly :(.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

NokkonWud wrote:Crikey, I thought I put a lot of time in at 20 hours. I'm level 23 at the moment, you must be far higher. Can't check on the PS3 side of things via the Social Club website as it doesn't organise in correct leaderboard format sadly :(.
Sorry Karl, my childlike grasp of the english language got in the way again but it's more like 110 hours cumulatively with around 30 in the online part. Lost 2 characters here: 7 & 15 but I'm back to 14 with the latest, though I thankfully keep my stats and bank money. That's the PS3 version for anyone worried it was a problem exclusive to the 360 version :(

By the way, there's a tab in the top right corner of the social club page on the crew to toggle over to the PS3 version but an overall crew leaderboard though tabbed at the bottom of the page isn't active just yet.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Played online for a couple of hours, it seems ok, but I doubt I'll be putting COD style hours into it. Tried a Last Man Standing Team Deathmatch,but the opposing team were higher levels packing body armour and SMG's, utterly wiped us out at an alarming rate. Not fun. Had better luck pissing around doing Races. Still, not worth putting up with constant crashes though.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

That's exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. The competitive modes are crap, especially if you're only starting in the game, because the mechanics are designed to be purposefully massively unbalanced. I'm listening to the Giant Bombcast right now and Jeff has a lot of similar stuff to say.

It's far better to do co-op stuff or just piss around aimlessly.