The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
chase210

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by chase210 »

The box for the S Famicom itself is amazing. Great haul there.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Agreed. The background here sent from Nintendo's LINE account has been my iPhone background a good while. It's rad.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/253385-ni ... com-sticke
Suits

Post by Suits »

Craig wrote:Agreed. The background here sent from Nintendo's LINE account has been my iPhone background a good while. It's rad.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/253385-ni ... com-sticke
That's sweet.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Paper Mario : Colour Splash is up on the official Nintendo Store for pre-order.

£39.99 - And a free gift if you pre-order !

http://store.nintendo.co.uk/games/wii-u ... plash.list

I'm getting it for sure. I'm desperate to see what all this 'pre-release dislike' is all about first hand.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Supposedly 'stress supposedly' from some data mining done on the nintendo says the reveal for NX on the 20th.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Wouldn't be surprised though. Isn't the NX supposed to be out in March. I think starting the pre-release hype 6 months beforehand sounds reasonable.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

chase210 wrote:Supposedly 'stress supposedly' from some data mining done on the nintendo says the reveal for NX on the 20th.
I hope so. I have been saving £150 of Amazon vouchers but the desire to pick up a PS4 slim is very strong. Only thing stopping me is knowing I only have time in my life for one system, so need to choose wisely.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Another site has reported next week for an NX reveal.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I would absolutely recommend starting with A Link to the Past on either Wii U or N3DS Virtual Console (or even Wii VC, if not the original hardware).
Craig

Post by Craig »

I'd echo link to the past recomendation. The first Zelda is great in its own way, but it's tough and obtuse at times, arguably by design.

You should be able to get through Link to the Past mostly on your own but still get the joy of exploration.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Given my total apathy towards Sony & Microsoft's direction at the moment I'm actually ready for the NX reveal now. I'm really hoping Nintendo present something fresh, appealing and at a reasonable price. Here's hoping!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

It's got to be a decent money spinner for them, I'm sure they will. Since I got a Wii U a month or so ago, I've barely touched my PS4, for what it's worth. Obviously, had I just bought a PS4 with Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 and Journey, after a couple of years of Wii U, I'd feel the other way but it is a fantastic misunderstood console, and the back catalogue on the Virtual Console is peerless.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ThirdMan wrote: I guess I'm looking for any excuse to buy a new console.
I'd recommend a Wii U all day.

However, it would be wise to hold out a few weeks and see what Nintendo have to say first about the NX before getting a new Nintendo home console. The only games we know that are coming out on the Wii U in the next year is Paper Mario & Z:BotW.

The 3DS though, is probably the best time to jump into a Nintendo handheld. The library is vast and the virtual console extensive (just make sure you get the 'New' 3DS version for the SNES emulator) and where are we fully expect the NX to be a portable hybrid, we know that Nintendo are planning to support the 3DS for some time with an extensive game release schedule going into mid 2017.

But really, you want to hold out to hear about what the NX is first.

So to answer your question, I'd say get a N3DS and Z:LttP on the SNES VC if you're desperate to scratch that itch - it's the most future proof option at the moment.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

On the other hand, I highly doubt that the NX would be backwards compatible with anything more than the WiiU, if that. So if you don't already have a Wii and would be interested in checking out some of that console's library, the WiiU would be a good choice. I'd wait until the announcement though, obviously. You never know.

As to the WiiU itself, I agree with Stanshall that it's a fantastic misunderstood console. It doesn't have a lot to offer in terms of sheer quantity, but some of its exclusive are definitely worth playing. My main gripe with it is the GamePad, which I think is just a shoddy piece of hardware. Ergonomy, battery life, material and build quality all suck. The Pro Controller is excellent, though. A shame it wasn't bundled with the console itself.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote:My main gripe with it is the GamePad, which I think is just a shoddy piece of hardware. Ergonomy, battery life, material and build quality all suck.
Mine's fantastic.

The annologues are solid and precise, the buttons all feel snappy urgonomic and the trigger buttons feel satisfying. Of all its potential flaws, I personally don't see build quality being one of them.

I also upgraded to the hi capacity battery, as I agree, on the longer 4+ hour sessions battery life did become an issue and I didn't want to plug it in. The bigger battery doubles life.

For what it is, I think it's a wonderful peripheral. It wasn't used half as well as it should have been. A real missed opportunity I think.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

More power to you, then! :)

I do seem to be more sensitive than most toward (perceived) ergonomic issues in general, so perhaps that explains it. I agree that it had some untapped potential, though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I rather like the GamePad too, although I do agree that it could 'feel' more robust/polished overall, but then that would undoubtedly have pushed the price of the console up.
I couldn't be arsed swapping batteries though, I simply pop the charge lead in if the little red LED comes on.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Interestingly enough and yes, this is how bad any news on the NX has become...

Someone on NeoGAF recently noticed the silhouette of the ZL button prompt on a new screen shot and how it doesn't match up with the Gamepad buttons.

Kinda looks like the right direction on a split D-pad if you ask me. Similar to the PlayStation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=6042
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Several high profile sites reporting that Nintendo are taking final orders of the Wii U to run down their stocks.

Might mean BOTWild on Wii U will be like TPrincess on GC and fairly limited / hard to find. Several investors also saying to buy a Wii U and keep it boxed as they'll be demands for them / replacement parts in the future.

We've all known this has been coming for 2 years now but its a shame. I've only owned this one console for that period and I've not gone hungry.

Mad to think that it had all these games and failed so badly. Shows the value of decent marketing and naming:

Super Mario 3D World
Captain Toad
Super Mario Maker
New Super Mario Bros U
Smash Bros
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 1 & 2
ZombiU
Zelda: Wind Waker & Twilight Princess HD
Splatoon
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
Affordable space adventures
FAST Racing Neo
Wonderful 101
Starfox Zero
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's woolly world
Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC
Guacamelee
Sonic Allstars Racing Transformed
The Swapper
The Fall
Darksiders 2
Pokken Tournament
Nintendoland
Assassins Creed Black Flag
Stealth Inc 2
Batman Arkham City
Little Inferno
Super Meat Boy

Not to mention all the VC and Wii games...
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'm absolutely delighted with the Wii U and I'm on it ten times as much as the PS4 but at the same time, I can see how it has arguably failed from a library point of view, too. It's perfect for the definitive versions of iterative series and remasters/back catalogue stuff, and I love it for that reason. Does it have the one incredibly innovative first party title that would persuade the average consumer to upgrade? I guess Splatoon. That's one I don't particularly enjoy though. Just thinking out loud.