Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: Videogame News

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum » August 20th, 2018, 2:16 pm

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... d-a-sequel

This makes me sad. I thought Velocity 2X was fantastic and played it to completion. But then I downloaded on PS Plus so am clearly part of the problem. Maybe I'll pick up on Switch to lend them a hand, as I'd definitely buy a sequel day one!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 20th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 2:16 pm
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... d-a-sequel

This makes me sad. I thought Velocity 2X was fantastic and played it to completion. But then I downloaded on PS Plus so am clearly part of the problem.
It was released on PS+. You had no opportunity to purchase it for PS4/Vita before it was handed to you for free, you are most definitely not part of the problem.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » August 20th, 2018, 7:48 pm

I presume they get some kind of income from ps+?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » August 20th, 2018, 7:54 pm

They negotiate and agree a one-off fee.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » August 20th, 2018, 10:23 pm

From what I’ve been hearing those who decided to go on PS+ or Games with Gold at launch have had pretty mixed results. For games with a strong long tail of consumables and dlc like Rocket League it’s been great, for small indie single player titles, not so much. Probably not helped by many of them probably not knowing how much they should actually be asking for.

It seems like the best strategy is to wait about a year, then hope the word of mouth of a month ‘free’ gets you some extra sales afterwards. For the big AAA companies it’s just advertising really, the games they put up are usually ones they’re not seeing significant sales from now anyway.

(Take for example Forza Horizon 2 which is up this month, it’s clear that MS have done that to try and get a last spike of DLC sales from it before they retire it from the store in September.)

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 21st, 2018, 7:13 am

Yeah and quite often you'll see older games in a series come up just before a new one is released (Forza Horizon also, and the David Cage games on PS+ in the lead up to Detroit etc)

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » August 21st, 2018, 7:25 am

For Honor is on Games with Gold this month primarily becauase they’ve got a major new piece of DLC that adds a whole new faction to the game due in a month or so, and so it doesn’t hurt to get a spike of new players in beforehand.

I’d actually expect Ubi to get that on PS+ as well before then, assuming there isn’t some sort of ‘if you’ve done gwg you can’t do ps+! Clause in the contracts)

Chopper

Post by Chopper » August 21st, 2018, 11:35 am

Stellaris is coming to consoles. It has quite a lot of small text, so I dunno how well it'll work for couch gaming.

Also, the trailers for Total War Three Kingdoms seem to indicate that it is coming to console (at least, they are being shown on PS sites like Sixthaxis). I haven't been able to verify that though.

Interesting times.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 21st, 2018, 6:47 pm

:o

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 21st, 2018, 7:06 pm

Definitely interested in that. I never played a Devil May Cry before other than the DMC reboot from a few years ago (which I loved). Big fan of the original God Of War games too, and the bit of Bayonetta I played seemed fun. This looks like something I'd enjoy, but I'm a bit loathe to jump in at number 5, as is my curse...

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » August 21st, 2018, 10:16 pm

I have to say the gameplay they've shown off at Gamescom has made the game look a lot better than I feared it might. I'm still pretty cautious about it, but at least now there's something that's encouraging about it.

Not sure on this idea of having the different arms you switch between break regularly though. That seems like it could be very annoying, and not letting you have access to certain functions when you really need them.

I really hope they release this demo for us to download at some point though, hopefully sooner rather than later. It looks like they've already got that level all polished up, and I really want to get my hands on it myself.

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing » August 22nd, 2018, 4:50 am

Unexpected Langrisser remakes for Switch and PS4!

https://gematsu.com/2018/08/langrisser- ... ps4-switch

Kadokawa games making them

The games are being fully remade, from graphics to systems, and optimized to be easier to play for newcomers. Character designs are completely new, the scenario is fully voiced, and the UI is being optimized. Battles also have cut-ins, and new elements not included in the original games will be added.

Full reveal on the 29th

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 22nd, 2018, 1:10 pm

I've never played any Langrisser games, but as a Fire Emblem fan they have been on my radar for quite some time. Looking forward to them!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » August 25th, 2018, 8:23 am

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/24/th ... mber-2018/

Very unfortunate news. It's only the PC version being mentioned, but those of you interested in The Last Remnant might want to grab it now before it's too late.

ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing » August 27th, 2018, 3:53 pm

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 27th, 2018, 8:16 pm

Interesting...

This worries me a little, though:

"Beautiful graphics fully hand-drawn animated by the studio behind Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap."

As long as its not a similar style! It really needs to look exactly like the old ones to retain any feeling of the series, in my opinion.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » August 27th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog 4, Double Dragon 4, Streets of Rage 4...

They did fine work with Wonder Boy though so we’ll see.

Suits

Post by Suits » August 27th, 2018, 8:32 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 8:28 pm
They did fine work with Wonder Boy though so we’ll see.
Kor, yeah, that was some game that.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 28th, 2018, 12:28 pm

I didn't realise that SoR 4 link showed screenshots. I can't deny it looks gorgeous, I'm a sucker for that bold cell shaded look usually, but I'm not sure about it for this game. It does look gorgeous though.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » August 28th, 2018, 12:39 pm

There’s a video announcement for it out there on YouTube as well if you want to see it moving. I could stand to see more of the in-game animation, but I do like the developers French comic book aesthetic (it’s one I’d love to see more of in games in general)