Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Chopper

Re: Videogame News

Post by Chopper » May 9th, 2019, 7:07 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 7:39 pm
I do wonder how likely it is for the game to go on sale in the future, considering how it doesn't appear to have ever been part of any sale in the 18 months it's been out, and with the studio now being out of the picture I don't know who would even arrange this sort of thing behind the scenes.
Hmm, good point. I don't think I've ever seen it on sale (on PSN at least) which is odd and maybe a decision they made (or I guess there could be all kinds of stuff going on behind the scenes, who knows?) .

I've been thinking about it since yesterday (and looked up my old comments here) and it's an easier game to regard with rose-tinted glasses than most. I saw on another site a description of it it as "the closest I’ve seen to Ian M Banks’s sci-fi – especially the Culture series – represented in videogame form," and I think that holds up reasonably well as far as I've read any of those books. The environments were great but a bit one-note (not a huge amount of variation if I remember correctly) and were a bit too long for me personally - you have, essentially one second chance and then have to start from the beginning of the level.

Also, the first 20-30 minutes are just walking through corridors with "exposition!"; I know how you love that ;) But it is very well done.

It's definitely an interesting one though, it got me thinking about it a lot yesterday and looking up a few videos on YouTube. Well worth having a look at in a sale.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 9th, 2019, 7:30 am

Chopper wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 7:07 am
Also, the first 20-30 minutes are just walking through corridors with "exposition!"; I know how you love that ;)
Sold.

I also started watching Prey (2017) recently, so if rancorous blame is gonna start flying in your direction any time soon, then I might as well go all in. :P

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 9th, 2019, 8:07 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 7:30 am
I also started watching Prey (2017) recently, so if rancorous blame is gonna start flying in your direction any time soon, then I might as well go all in. :P
If there is one piece of advice I'd give for Prey (as it's a little ornery at the start), it's not to sweat the small stuff. There are a bunch of annoying, pesky enemies scurrying around, and you're not well-equipped to deal with them with the starting wrench, which is awful. Just chill and don't get too worked up at the start.

Oh, also there are some early enemies that you are probably not equipped for, so you need to remember to run away at times. The game improves (as do all games) when you get the shotgun.

See, I am optimistic that the game is going to go well for you! :mrgreen: <-

Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum » May 9th, 2019, 8:41 am

Sad news about the closure of Ultra Ultra.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... -shut-down

Echo is a game I've had on my 'to buy' list for a long time but never got round to picking up. It's still available for purchase on PS4, Steam and GOG, so will get on to it now in case it adds a few more pennies to the pockets of those now out of work.

Clearly a very talented bunch so hopefully everyone lands on their feet at another studio soon!

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » May 10th, 2019, 7:16 am

Some good stuff in the Nintendo eshop sale. All the Steamworld Games are pretty cheap.

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » May 10th, 2019, 7:17 am

This is very clever...

Seems Days Gone is a distant Syphon Filter sequel?!

https://twitter.com/corybarlog/status/1 ... 26624?s=19

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » May 10th, 2019, 8:44 pm

seansthomas wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 7:17 am
This is very clever...

Seems Days Gone is a distant Syphon Filter sequel?!

https://twitter.com/corybarlog/status/1 ... 26624?s=19
Holy Moly! That’s pretty crazy

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » May 14th, 2019, 10:22 am

It looks like things haven't been going very well for the ESA of late. Sounds like the organisation is in a bit of a mess, thanks to the ex-president not being very good at his job. This piece is a little bit outdated, as I found it through a news story about a new president taking the position, but it still offers relevant insight. It sheds some light on to why this coming E3 seems unusually decentralised. While the show has been needing to change for a while, it sounds like this recent shift has perhaps come from the companies that usually take part losing faith in the ESA somewhat. But with this president being replaced now, hopefully that sounds like things will improve in future. Although I'm not expecting too much. Those sorts of positions attract a certain type of person after all.

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/feature ... 203211280/

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 16th, 2019, 10:05 am

While I fall squarely in the fucKonami crowd, news that the upcoming Castlevania Anniversary Collection will get a free update to include the Japanese versions is at least a positive step.

Still don't like 'em, but credit where credit is due.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » May 16th, 2019, 10:09 am

Their f2p picross game is also good!

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 17th, 2019, 11:05 pm

The future is streaming (and motion control, and VR)!

The early days of Microsoft and Sony working together for game streaming? What's next? Mario and Sonic in a game together?!? :o

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 18th, 2019, 8:05 am

How’s that time machine coming along, granddad? :D

I’m just assuming you’re working on a one way ticket back to 1982 here ;)

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 18th, 2019, 9:23 am

Chopper wrote:
May 18th, 2019, 8:05 am
How’s that time machine coming along, granddad? :D

I’m just assuming you’re working on a one way ticket back to 1982 here ;)
How insulting! I'm actually aiming for 1994! Just need a new DeLorean... Marty!

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » May 19th, 2019, 9:18 pm

I’d forgotten about it, but the upcoming, extremely pretty, new fighting game from ArcSys based on the Granblue Fantasy RPG has a 3 day closed beta at the end of the month.

You’ve still got a few days to register (PS4 only) if that interests anyone.

https://versus.granbluefantasy.jp/sp/en/

clippa

Post by clippa » May 19th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Gran Blue Fantasy?
When we heard something like that, me and my friend used to say "you've got that on DVD, haven't you?"
"The queen's golden jubilee", that was a good one :D Niche gay watersports title.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » May 22nd, 2019, 11:21 am

The Grid series is getting a reboot! A nice surprise. I expected the series was dead. This was always the Codemasters series that I was in to, so I'm glad it's coming back. It looks like they're going in the right direction in terms of what sorts of cars and tracks they're focusing on, and I heard Codies are on a bit of a roll right now when it comes to how polished their handling models are, so hopefully that will be good. I've got a couple of worries though. Although it looks pretty, it doesn't really have any sort of visual identity to the aesthetic. I always liked the strong mood the original game had, and this one doesn't really look like it has any of that. Also on the game's website there's a conspicuous lack of any mention of a drift mode. I would be a bit disappointed if that was left out. It may have been a bit hit-and-miss through the series, but it was a lot of fun in the first game. It would be a shame to not get another chance at that.

Suits

Post by Suits » May 22nd, 2019, 11:31 am

Dirt Rally has the BEST car handling and representation of a rally game I’ve ever played.

It was remarkable.

I’d be keen to get my hands on anything they are doing with a track based circuit game and see what they do with that.

Although flat out driving will always be less involving than the throttle control associated with rally games.

Bring it on.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » May 22nd, 2019, 9:35 pm

We've got some gameplay of Grid, and honestly it doesn't look great. The handling looks pretty flat missing the feeling of the original, and the damage modelling looks pretty bad too. Two huge crashes in that first race that did barely anything. The bigger crash seemed to do the least as well. According to a post on Reddit, there's no drift mode at all either. Do yeah, that's mostly killed any interest I had already. Going to take a lot to win me back.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 24th, 2019, 4:48 pm

This looks like daft fun. Lapis x Labyrinth.

Coming May 31st to ps4 and switch

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » June 1st, 2019, 8:44 am

First DLC trailer for Mortal Kombat 11. HE SAID THE THING, FROM THE MOVIE!

(I’ve been loving how 11 is embracing the movie at last. There were already a lot of direct movie references in the game, and now we have actual movie Shang Tsung looking like the movie Shang Tsung, voiced by the guy that played him in the movie.)

Spawn... I’m kinda meh on. I know he has lots of fans, but that painfully 90s edgelord thing isn’t for me.