Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist » June 14th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Thanks for the note on Shikhondo - I’ll make sure my toddler isn’t around when I get to the bosses :D

I fully agree, this thread is lovely.

Just a few of us cracking on, learning about and adoring a genre, telling each other our little tales, chronicling the journey. No BS, no aggro. You’re clearly all such good people. Long may it continue!

I already miss my Venom :cry: I did bring my Switch & PSP though. So the shmups will continue in handheld fashion when I get spare time.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 14th, 2019, 4:04 pm

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 14th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Oh, nice! That's the one Stan swears by, right? Do we know if it's gonna remain Switch exclusive, btw?

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 14th, 2019, 4:21 pm

Not many games stay exclusive. My hunch is it will pop up on at least PS4 at some point.

Also, check this, shmuppers: https://twitter.com/shmups/status/11395 ... 99808?s=21

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » June 14th, 2019, 4:24 pm

That looks pretty cool - is it a new game? I could have sworn I heard the name years back.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 14th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Rolling Gunner? It came out at the start of the year in Japan I believe.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 14th, 2019, 5:31 pm

It's my favourite horizontal shmup, I can say that much. It's a not as spectacular as Akai Katana or Deathsmiles or Progear but it's really well balanced and tight and pretty different. The scoring is pretty deep, several different little systems. I got really really into it, fifteen hours basically on the first two minute stage. I've actually played through the rest of it as well (not 1CC) and it's superb. Novice modes and casual modes make it very accessible. It's just a really well designed indie shmup by an ex-Cave dev and it feels exactly like that.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 14th, 2019, 10:16 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 4:32 pm
Rolling Gunner? It came out at the start of the year in Japan I believe.
PC version was completed August last year but they decided only to sell physical copies because Japan.
Yeah, Japanese switch version was released back end of February.

I reckon they could have gotten away with charging more, hopefully your average none-shmup fanatic will be more than happy to take a chance at that generous price.

Don't be like me, swallow your pride and go straight for the easy difficulty, you get a lot more time to practise and become confident with the turret controls and that translates to the normal difficulty where you have to reposition them a lot quicker.
If you've played deathsmiles, it's the same as controlling the familiars in that game, my daffy brain still has trouble with it, it's never quite clicked and doesn't felt effortless*, but it'll probably come, I just need to practise more.

That'll be a good time for me to jump back in if everyone's getting it. I can just about beat the score Stanshall gets on the first stage by the time I die in stage 3 (or 4 if I get lucky). That's fucking haunting me, let me tell you. He's in cahoots with the owl, I'm convinced.

* there it is, my daffy brain in action, this is why I end up shooting myself up the arse with those turrets.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 15th, 2019, 8:59 am

I really hope it does well. It does seem like the Switch is leading a bit of a shmup renaissance (I can only imagine how many times people have claimed a shmup renaissance over the last ten years) and it's one of the very best of a very good bunch on the system.

On another Switch shmup note, I have been playing Radirgy Swag which came out on Thursday on the Japanese eShop. I bought it mostly to support the genre and do a tiny bit to encourage more shmup devs and publishers. It's pretty weird and because it's all in Japanese, I haven't got a clue what's going on, really! It's a vertical shooter but with a flatter angle of elevation, I don't know what the term is for this perspective but it's kind of 45 degrees lower to the ground than most vertical shmups. There don't appear to be any bosses, and it's more about playing for score through building your multiplier. It also has a bit of a Twinbee type of power up system where you can use your melee attack to change the colour of power ups and ping them back up the screen. Different colours evidently do various things but I can't figure out what exactly!

I played and didn't particularly enjoy Radirgy Noa on the 360 so I wouldn't really recommend this but if you fancy something different with a distinctive, non-moe anime aesthetic, it's certainly that.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 15th, 2019, 2:11 pm

I did quite like radirgy noa, but I didn't really know what was going on either.

That gosokkyu guy was talking about it on twitter the other day
"for the curious, quick Radirgy Swag impressions -it seems entirely wave-based, I don't think there are any bosses and there aren't even real stage transitions, the backgrounds just change every so often -tons of speed-killing, what I presume are weird conditional triggers, etc"

"scroll speed is indicated by the wi-fi meter, the pink triangle add bars to the meter which increase the scroll/enemy speed, once you max it out you go into an "over" state with tons of stupidly fast & aggressive enemies whose attacks clearly aren't meant to be dodged on reaction"

"the idea, I think, is to spam the hell out of the net which gives you temporary invincibility and to point-blank as much as possible in order to maintain meter for the net, if you're not constantly & consistently doing this at max speed you're guaranteed to get hit"

"the battery functions like a health meter, and I think it also slowly drains on its own in order to encourage people to use the speed-ups (the biggest incentive to use the speed-ups is that I can't imagine anyone having fun with the game at default speed)"

"it's super caravan-y and the rankings track clear time as well as score, the game implies different paths or endings or something but I've been ignoring all the text so I don't know if clear time is important in that regard or if it's purely a time attack thing"

"the sfx are satisfying as always, especially when you go OVER; it's been so long since I touched the other Radirgy games that I couldn't tell you if the music's new or old the visuals have aged like milk, not that I ever really dug them when they were new. odd camera angle, too"
If that's any help. I like "aged like hot milk" :D

I was never really sure about the graphics in radirgy but they were certainly different and I liked being in that world while I played.

yeah, if rolling gunner does well, that can only mean more games! Long live the renaissance!
The life support has been stable with the consoles getting a steady drip feeding of ports, and the pc doing it's bit to attract new players
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/16/shmups/
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/how-steam-br ... naissance/
"The recent deluge of shmups on Steam has been a great thing… The genre is finding a wider audience and there have been some great indie efforts. Shmups are alive and kicking and I hope it continues forever," noted one user.
That's me, "one user", I'm famous! - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 2#p1234562

and now even some of the older games are selling gangbusters on the switch and the whole exa thing could take off and reignite the arcade scene. If it all comes together, 2020 could well be the year of the shmup!
What a time to be alive!
Even if it all just flickers out, we were all there, baby! We were all there.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 15th, 2019, 2:28 pm

clippa wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 2:11 pm
That's me, "one user", I'm famous! - https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.p ... 2#p1234562
Btw, if I may ask. Who or what is that aberration of an avatar you keep using everywhere?

clippa

Post by clippa » June 15th, 2019, 3:02 pm

That's the little man (of "and a little house and the whole world window" fame) a sort of semi-mascot for your new favourite band.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 15th, 2019, 5:20 pm

I'm assuming ksub backed out of the thread slowly and screeched off in his owlmobile.
Although that deafening silence could also mean that he's locked himself in his study with his expensive headphones on to fully investigate the broad majesty of his new favourite band!

I fired up rolling gunner today and discovered that my high score isn't as bad as I thought. Normal is still so tricky for me though. It feels so tight and precise, gimme some wiggle room, I wanna wriggle!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 15th, 2019, 5:51 pm

Yeah well, that was certainly... music.
I don't even have an old favourite band, let alone a new one! Not so much of a "band" person, I'm afraid.

Thank you very much for the clarification, however.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 15th, 2019, 6:11 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 5:51 pm
Yeah well, that was certainly... music.
I appreciate your kindness and restraint in this matter.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 15th, 2019, 6:59 pm

OK, I'm pissed so I'm going to recommend another favourite band:

https://youtu.be/-SKTAF2jSSI

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE

clippa

Post by clippa » June 15th, 2019, 7:27 pm

I was going to ask you to point me in the right direction.
I listened to some stuff the other week, some of it I liked, some of it, not so much.

This is the one that grabbed me first, I listened without watching the video first though and then the video made me feel a bit sickly.

I think I get it, it feels a lot like playing a shmup. You get all the raw materials at the start, then you learn the scoring mechanics and it all comes together and you lift off together with the song.

Is this the song that all the hardcore fans hate? Have I outed myself as a lost cause? :D

Just gonna pop this here while I'm logged in - https://i.imgur.com/vnJF4m7.png

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 15th, 2019, 7:48 pm

The live version of that'd song from 2007 turned me from a casual to a devotee. The early stuff is colossal but more experimental but the midboss period stuff of Sung Tongs, Feels, and Strawberry Jam is so wonderful in a more familiar way and then Merriweather Post Pavilion was their commercial peak and an amazing record. The live shows around that time are my favourite music ever.

Everything since has been a bit variable but they're on the up again.

Their solo stuff is spectacular in parts. Person Pitch is probably the best solo record.

The early stuff was life changing for me.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 15th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Apologies for spelling auto correct.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 15th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Stanshall wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 7:48 pm
and then Merriweather Post Pavilion was their commercial peak and an amazing record.
Thank you, I'll dip my toe in the nice perfumed end first, I'd have just dived in at the deep end amongst all the wires with wild abandon in my younger days but I'd probably get frightened and confused if I put that "experimental" racket on without giving myself time to adjust. I don't want to scare myself off.